YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How Can I Select A Journal to Publish My Paper? Options · View
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:18:44 PM

Groups:
I have made quite a few bad decisions over the years in selecting journals to publish papers that I have written. Often, I've been able to publish papers on the 2nd or 3rd try, and I've always wished in hindsight that I'd been more astute in choosing the journal. One time, I actually published in a journal better that the one I had initially chosen.

Can I ask, if you have published, how you go about choosing a journal in your field to submit a paper you have written? What are the criteria that you consider? Does it make a difference if you submit to a journal that is published more frequently?
Sponsor  

jallen001
#2 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 7:53:19 AM

Groups: Premium , Registered
Guest wrote:
I have made quite a few bad decisions over the years in selecting journals to publish papers that I have written. Often, I've been able to publish papers on the 2nd or 3rd try, and I've always wished in hindsight that I'd been more astute in choosing the journal. One time, I actually published in a journal better that the one I had initially chosen.

Can I ask, if you have published, how you go about choosing a journal in your field to submit a paper you have written? What are the criteria that you consider? Does it make a difference if you submit to a journal that is published more frequently?

Hi

Don't think you are alone in publishing articles on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. We have all been there at one time or the other. However, it is possible to make better-informed decisions about your paper's destination if you spend some time thinking about it.

The first thing I always do is have a close colleague read the paper and give me an honest opinion of where he or she thinks the paper fits - not only the journals, but whether it is an A or B or B+ - type paper. Once you know the general quality of the paper, you can narrow down your choices. If you know an editor or associate editor, that's a better place to go than if you don't. Actually, if one of these is a personal friend, have them read the paper first and give you an idea of whether it is worth it to send the paper there in the first place.

The unsavoury aspect of publishing is that a large number of papers are published through personal contacts - directly or indirectly. Editors will never admit to this openly Shhh, but we are a subtle and sophisticated society after all. If lobbyists can make or modify laws in Congress, what makes you think the world of academic publishing is all that different? anyhow, that's a little dose of reality for you.

I know MyNetResearch has a journal advising tool that helps you identify a journal to send a paper to, but I have not really taken a good look at it.
csimmers001
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:51:39 PM

Groups: Administrators , Premium, Registered, WebAdmin
Journal selection may also depend on the requirements at your university. Talk with a senior faculty member. Research institutions may only "count" certain journals. Sometimes Universities have journal rankings - so aim for those journals. Other places want journals with certain acceptance rates. Check to see if your library has a subscription to Cabell's

Finally, consider partnering with someone with a successful track record of publishing. Follow their lead.
bay001
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:04:23 AM

I would also add the possibility of calling or emailing the journal's Editor or an Associate Editor to see the extent of fit between your article and the journal's scope. Of course, this is after reading the Journal's Instructions to Authors and Description and validating this for yourself.

Sometimes, this will help you avoid submitting an article to a journal that has no chance from the outset because their focus is currently on other topics.
jallen001
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:57:47 AM

Since we are on a social networking site, might I suggest crowdsourcing? Put a brief synopsis of your work on MyNetResearch, while being careful to guard the most vital and specific elements; and receive advice from the MyNetResearch community as to the best journal(s) to submit your article.

Also, you can use the MyNetResearch Journal Selection Guide. This will help you narrow down your choices.
vbebee001
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:28:36 PM

I suggest you talk to the Editor or the Associate Editor of the journal. Many times, they are happy to talk to you about your paper and suitability for their journal.
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:40:32 AM

Groups:
I really need help here. I wish to publish my findings in any journals. Can some one pls guide me
bay001
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:12:49 AM

There are different journal lists for each subject area usually, but one quick way is to use MyNetResearch's (free) Journal Selection Guide. You can find it at:

http://journals.mynetresearch.com/Default.aspx

Thanks
Editor
Nelson
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:15:31 AM

Groups:
You can publish your research paper or journal at: (While googling I found this website)
International Journal of Scientific and Engineering research. (IJSER)

http://www.ijser.org

http://www.niscair.res.in/
http://www.eurojournals.com/EJSR.htm
Rose fernands
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:16:57 AM

Groups:
You can ask your guide, he/she must have published few papers, or while googling you will find
few web sites where you can publish your paper, once accepted you can publish there.

http://www.ijser.org

International Journal of Scientific and Engineering research. (IJSER)

Source:-
My friend is doing Phd, she has published few international papers.
sgupta028
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:48:12 PM

bay001 wrote:
There are different journal lists for each subject area usually, but one quick way is to use MyNetResearch's (free) Journal Selection Guide. You can find it at:

http://journals.mynetresearch.com/Default.aspx

Thanks
Editor

What is the password?
bay001
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:04:27 AM

You've got to login to MyNetResearch first...
ctym001
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:35:34 AM

I'm logged in and it still asks for a password ...
bay001
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:08:44 AM

I have checked this out in Chrome and Firefox and it is working fine. Here are more detailed steps:

1. Login to MNR at: https://www.mynetresearch.com/Signup/Login.aspx

2. Click on the Tab: <My ToolBox>. Make sure you don't have a popup blocker as a new Window/Tab is opened.
You are a Premium Member (I checked) so you should see all the tools.

3. Click on <Journal Selection Guide> and select your criteria.

4. Click on <Submit>

Let me know if you still have problems.

Best
Bay Arinze (PhD)
Senior Editor
ctym001
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:59:01 PM

Thankyou